A brief summary of some major events at TBSC:
1950 The British School Caracas was opened at the Old Hacienda Farmhouse in Las Mercedes (now the Vera Cruz Supermarket) on 15th of September with 37 pupils and four teachers. Eileen Hinks (later Eileen Mendt) was appointed Headmistress.
1954 TBSC was relocated and its main buildings with seven classrooms for 240 pupils (The Mendt, Pre-School and Amphitheatre Buildings today) inaugurated by the British and Canadian Ambassadors of the day.
1958 An apartment below the original offices at the main entrance was converted to make two classrooms for Pre-School. The Britannia House Shield was donated by B.O.A.C. (British Airways).
1962 A two story annexe with six classrooms was opened next to the Amphitheatre building to accommodate a Dutch section complete with Dutch teachers and a Dutch language programme. Today this building is still known as The Dutch Building.
1967 A severe earthquake shook Los Palos Grandes and Altamira but the school escaped with only minor damage.
1978 The British Community held a reception at the school to mark the visit of the Prince of Wales to Venezuela. This was a record year for enrolment (301 with a pupil teacher ratio of 30:1).
1981 Catherine Judge was appointed Headmistress.
1984 The Dutch section closed.
1987 Jane Askey was appointed as Headmistress.
1988 Was a record low for enrolment at the Altamira site (90 pupils).
1989 The first P.T.A. Spring Fayre was held.
1990 A covered area (‘The Hanger’) and playing surface was provided next to the Dutch building in lieu of an extended indoor hall. Alan Darby was appointed as Headmaster.
1991 Roger Anniss was appointed as Headmaster.
1994 Sheila Purdom was appointed as Headmistress.
1995 Science, ICT and two further classrooms were added to the the Amphitheatre Building. The first Year Book was published.
1997 New buildings containing eight classrooms, a Science Lab, Staff Room and changing rooms were opened next to the cancha (The Fletcher Building) increasing the capacity of the school.
1999 Quintas Dami and Alicia were purchased to house a Library/Media Centre, administration offices and Key Stage 3.
2000 The 50th Anniversary of the school. The 40th anniversary and retirement of long serving teacher and Deputy Head, Janet Fletcher. Mark Gifford was appointed as Head of School.
2002 Appointment of Richard Free as Head of School.
2003 The British School Caracas awarded accreditation by the Council of International Schools (CIS).
2004 The Board reached a decision to remain essentially a Primary School (3+ to 12+) for the foreseeable future.
2006 Appointment of Brian Allen as Head of School.
2007 CIS Five Year Review.
2009 Amphitheatre roof built, Year 8 opens after an absence of six years. Board announce the intention of expanding to pre-university levels.
2010 The 60th anniversary of the school. The primary programme adopts the International Primary Curriculum to complement the National Curriculum of England.
2011 Appointment of Neil McBurney as Head of School. For the first time in TBSC´s history, our first Key Stage 4 (Year 10) students undertake the Cambridge IGCSE after receiving authorisation to offer this prestigious curriculum in May 2011.
2012 The school completes the CIS Self Study as a part of the CIS Ten Year Review. The CIS school visit took place in November.
2013 TBSC is granted CIS Accreditation. Out first Year 11 students complete their IGCSE external examinations in June 2013. Our IB Diploma authorisation application is completed as we prepare to off the IB Diploma from September 2013. Appointment of John Plommer as Head of School.
2014 Yasir Patel appointed as Acting Head of School.